Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Minecraft Birthday Party

When you ask your child what theme they want for their birthday you secretly hope that they choose something popular and a theme that you can actually find decorations for. When this doesn't happen, you turn to Pinterest.com for some help with creating the best party you can. In my son's case, this dream party to beat all others was Minecraft.
Now, let me say I have some experience with the actual game. I believe this is unlike most parents. I actually enjoy playing Mojang's video game. It is addicting and offers my son a virtual Lego world. He can be as creative as he wants. As we researched the net to figure out how to play this game, I became addicted as well. I have since slowed down and am trying to focus on blogging and crafting. (LOL yeah right!) Anyway, here are some of the pictures of the party and some of the ideas I got online and some I came up with. 





The food consisted of the kind of things you would find in the game. We had Pretzels for Sticks, Goldfish for Fish. Cheese balls for Snow, Chips for Potatoes, Red Vines for TNT, Hot dogs and Buns for Pork and Bread, Celery for Sugar Cane, Carrot for Carrot, Green Gumballs for Slime, You name it, we probably had it featured. We even had Zombie Flesh Meat (beef jerky). I use the Wiki to get the images of each item that Steve might have in his inventory and printed labels for each one.

The table was covered in a grass tablecloth (thank you Superbowl party décor). We had apples and grass to decorate the center. We even had a Nether Portal that they had to go through to get into the Kitchen. I used black and purple crepe paper.

The Creeper wall hanging was made with colored paper plates. The squares were perfect. It was a bit difficult to tape together but it turned out great. Thanks hubby for helping.

I decided to go with the traditional cake like the one in the game. It was white and chocolate cake covered in buttercream with a fondant outer layer. Some of the kids really dug in and some were nervous with their first fondant experience. Note the awesome torches and paper crafts I found online to print.


 
One of our games was to "Mine in the sandbox (heh, fitting) for diamonds and other minerals. We used cut up Mardi Gras necklaces to make it seem like there were chunks of gold and iron, rocks for coal that were spray painted black and some left over diamond bling that I had in my craft room. The kids loved it and we had one older girl that would not stop trying for that diamond. It was really cold that day too so she was a real trooper.  We also did a Creeper Toss bean bag game (excellent for the boys) and the girls enjoyed making Melty Bead necklaces or ornaments for their Christmas Tree.




 
We had to do a piñata and my son wanted to do a Ghast instead of another Creeper. So I came up with this idea. It was made from a square shaped one from the store and sprayed white with a printed Ghast face and crepe paper legs.  He loved it.  Afterward, everyone ran around and had a Silly String war and exploded poppers. How fun!

The Candle Shot:)

Here is the whole crew. They had a great time. My son was so happy and loved every minute of it even if some of the parents had no clue what the theme was all about.  I enjoyed it too.

1 comment:

  1. This is , so great!! So creative. Will you come do RyRys next.birthday party for me??

    ReplyDelete