Thursday, February 13, 2014

You're so Dauntless!

Do you ever have those odd moments of foreshadowing? I am talking about something that happens in your life that seems insignificant at the time but then as things play out, it seems to stick in your mind like the universe was giving you a clue of what was coming your way. This happens to me a lot. It could be because I have always been the type to notice things that most people miss. Little things. Things that don't mean anything at the time. I am also very sentimental. Part of being a pack rat I guess.
I remember talking to a coworker back when I was working at a Newspaper when I had a career in Advertising. He was part of the maintenance crew. He was telling me he was about to go out on a ship and would be gone for months. He was telling me how it was hard on his girlfriend and him. I remember discussing how I wouldn't want that. How I didn't think I would be able to live without my loved one for an extended time. Huh. Funny.
Another time was when I was a teenager and all my friends were talking about how many kids they wanted. I was bravely announcing how I only wanted one child. One that I would spoil and love and one was all I needed. Hmm. Weird.
Recently, my book club picked me to choose the book we were to read. I had a few ideas based on Amazon and Kindle recommendations and some ideas of what I had seen on social media sites. We chose the book Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is about a girl living in a dystopian version of Chicago. It was Young Adult and had similar ties to the popular Hunger Games novels. This was a book was the first of a trilogy so I thought if we liked it we could continue to read the future books to keep the story going. Little did I know.
I am a party planner so I got a bunch of ideas from the internet.  I had a virtual choosing ceremony table set up with the foods and substances that represented each faction.
 

I had the bowls representing each faction. There were gray stones for Abnegation, glass beads for Candor, coals and a lit candle for Dauntless, water for Erudite, and earth or dirt from my back yard for Amity.  I downloaded the symbols from the web and made cards for each. I also decorated with some black birds around the table.
I wanted the refreshments for my club to be tasty but also correctly represent what the different factions would eat. So for Abnegation and their selfless and plain bland diet I used crackers and cheese. For Erudite, the intelligent, I had ***(I really can't remember lol)***. Dauntless had to have chocolate cake as mentioned in the book. For Candor, the truth seekers, Jello fit the bill. It was clear and I used orange because it reminded me of the truth serum they injected into those going into their fear-scape. For Amity, the peaceful farmers, I served apple pie.  
 I kept things simple and used black and white. I also asked my club members to come dressed up as their favorite faction. My friend and I chose to be Dauntless and I even made some bird tattoos like what I imagined Tris would have. I cut some extras in case anyone wanted to fake being awesome like me.
I think I look pretty righteous like I could jump a train or something. Bad ass. If I only knew....
We discussed the book and some of our favorite parts. We also went over some questions I had prepared.
The night was a huge success and my girls loved the effort I put into it. I was a true fan and I am really anticipating the movie coming out. Now, back to the foreshadowing...
Little did I know that I would literally become a member of the Dauntless. You see, my husband is a Coast Guardsman. His job has us moving around quite a bit. We wanted to stay in this area of Texas so when a position came open here, he applied for it. We got to stay in our house. He became a shipmate on the US Coast Guard Cutter "Dauntless" and I became a real Dauntless wife.
Bom Bom Bommmmmmm 

1 comment: