Monday, October 12, 2015

Shabby Chic Chandelier

This sad looking light fixture has seen better days - like in the 80's. It's mismatched bulbs and tacky brass finish just isn't doing it any good. These old fixtures are pretty common in my neighborhood. I think all the builders placed them in the homes when they were built 35 years ago. Sadly most people just throw them away and hang something more modern or updated to their decor. Happily, for me, I grabbed one at the last big yard sale. You see, I had plans for the poor thing. 
A few years ago I had one of these ugly fixtures. It sat for a while and was taking up lots of real estate in our garage. We had a garage sale and I decided to get rid of it because you see, I was pregnant and knew I wouldn't have time to paint it and put the work into it to make it beautiful. It sold and I have regretted letting it go for some time. Fast forward to today. I had our beautiful baby girl and things were settling down. Imaging my delight when I came across this one at a local garage sale. I had to have it. The lady selling it was moving from her big home to a boat with her fisherman husband. She had purchased the old light with the same intentions as I had- to make it into something beautiful. She was asking way too much for it so I walked away. You ever get that feeling about something that you should have bought? I do it all the time (husband thinks I am a pack rat). I couldn't stop thinking about the light fixture and fun project I would have if I wanted to save it. I love the idea of repurposing things and turning them into something useful or decorative again.  I went back the next day and she was still there and get this- I got it for a fraction of the original price the seller wanted! Sometimes it pays to wait. 
I took my ugly duckling light home and ad my family looked at me like I was crazy, hauled it into my patio. I snapped this picture of it before it got too dark.  
She was happy to be in her new home and awaiting her transformation. Soon I began researching about what paint to use and how to clean her up. She already had a plug converter wired up and it even had a dimmer switch. Score! My original thought was to make my treasure turn into an outdoor chandelier for the big oak tree in our back yard. But with the delicate electrical, I think she needs to be covered and protected from the elements. 
I used 
Rust-oleum paint and primer in Matte Robin's egg color. I taped off the electrical parts with painters tape. You don't what to clog anything. I left the white tubes alone because I thought they should stay white. Then I roughed up the old brass so the paint would stick to it better. Then outside to spray. It took about 2 coats and I used about 1 and a half cans of paint. That left me enough to paint a frame I had that needed some color. I think this is my favorite color at the moment. Note my nails (they are So Gloss vinyl nail sleeves). After letting my light dry a few days, it was time to add some bling. I found some glitzy dangles at my local craft store and found the rest of the baubles online. With some careful wiring work, I got everything the way I wanted. I'm so pleased with the final result!

Look at that gleam! Sparkles perfect for a princess! Let me know what you think and remember, you can take something old and gross and turn it into something gorgeous too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment