Friday, May 3, 2019

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
This was my month to host Bunco and what better theme than Cinco de Mayo?
I have been seeing an ad for a cute shirt that says "Margaritas made me do it" on my social media feed. This of course made me want a refreshing margarita and motivated me to make the shirt since I have the supplies. I haven't made anything with my Silhouette for over a year. This got me excited. Here is the pic of my shirt.

So what does everyone do when planning an event? Check Pinterest for great ideas! I love to get creative and make things. This goes way back to when I was a kid. My mother and grandparents were super creative and always had us painting or doing ceramics or gardening or learning embroider stitches. I really miss all the fun times I had with my sister making crafts with our Grammy and Papa. We joke that our artistic abilities are inherited directly from that side of the family.

I found so many great ideas for a Cinco de Mayo theme online, it was hard to choose just a few for our Bunco needs. We usually have a lot of people so quick finger foods and appetizers work well. Then we need a fun cocktail to compliment everything. I went with Margaritas of course!! I also had some Coronas on the table. We don't get too crazy because it's a Thursday night and most of us have kids so we keep it pretty tame. But we need a night out at least once a month even at our age!

Let me back up a bit. I wanted to decorate the room in the theme but really didn't want to spend a lot. I wanted to use what I have and spend some time with my daughter. She and our son have had a little of the creative education like what my sister and I got but not nearly as much. So, I asked my 4 year old to help me make some of the decorations for the party. We chose to make mini pinatas. They are made with toilet paper rolls or you can cut up a wrapping paper tube. Anything that shape will work. She is all about using scissors and cutting up paper so I showed her how to make the right cuts for the fringy parts of the pinata.  She did a great job and told me more than once how much fun she was having. We filled the tubes with some of the left over Easter candy and hung them on our kitchen table chandelier. The curling ribbons coming down looked great and gave the table more vertical dimension.


Then the food! Pshew! I went a little nuts here. Not really having too much but just having fun with the things we found on Pinterest. We made guacamole, black bean salsa, Mexican street corn dip, taquitos, churros and fruit cups. I was going to do a 7 layer taco dip but it wasn't needed with the amount of people who RSVP'd. We almost played Mexican Train Dominoes. (It fit the theme well).
The fruit cups choice had me chopping up watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, mangoes and limes for a good part of the day. It was fun and it makes me think I could have a second life as a sous chef.
One of the things we saw online that I wanted to try was carving the watermelon like a cactus and making a bowl with it for presentation. I learned that you can use dry erase marker to draw out the shape and then wipe it off when you are done. We added the rest of the fruit in the bowl like a fruit salad. We never got around to putting the toothpicks in the watermelon cactus though. Prob for the best since I would prob prick my finger while grabbing for the food!
Then we had a good idea for the end of the pineapple. We carved it into a bird and placed it on the edge of the watermelon bowl. It all looked so cute! Someone even mentioned I could get a job with Carnival with these food skills I was doing. (Contact me for a resume!!)






We decided to play outside by the pool to enjoy the beautiful weather. I didn't get any Buncos tonight but I got 2 mini's and had a great time with my ladies. Here is one of our Bunco winners. She got the crown till the next person wins.
Until next time, keep-rohlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment